1. victoria washington
    October 14, 2013 @ 11:03 am

I find it interesting that prosecutors and judges think any defense expert must be a whore and therefore unreliable; their science, their testing, their evaluations, there opinions…hogwash. My colleagues aften buy into this by saying, among other things, “I don’t want to hire so-and-so because he/she has become a defense whore”. What I find disturbing is the same appellation is not attached to state experts; especially in capital litigation.

Are you a defense whore or a state whore? Perhaps I should use this question when I vet my experts and bypass a lot of bullshit.

2. Ric Moore
    October 14, 2013 @ 2:32 pm

“I’ve long thought that the trade of criminal-defense lawyer shares a good deal with that of sex worker.”

Except with the sex worker, negotiation is far less tedious and there is far less foreplay. ~grins~ Ric

3. Adrian Sloan
    October 14, 2013 @ 2:57 pm

And with the sex worker there is a much greater likelihood of a happy ending.

4. Steven Warshawsky
    October 15, 2013 @ 11:17 am

Your analysis of value for value is positively Randian. See Francisco’s wedding speech in Atlas Shrugged. Bravo!

5. Nick Williams
    October 15, 2013 @ 11:38 am

It’s true–all of us who ply our bitchy little legal trade are whores. It’s not morally unambiguous work like, say, subsistence farming for survival. This was a wonderful post, by the way, and encapsulates what I’ve thought for so long about actual “whores”. One man’s whore is another man’s wife:)

6. Just Between Us Whores | Simple Justice
    October 16, 2013 @ 6:46 am

[…] only if you choose to read it that way, and I didn’t.  Bennett explained that the word only carries power if you let it, and we are all whores in the exchange of services for […]

7. Josh C
    October 22, 2013 @ 9:57 am

I really don’t understand this claim that any use of “whore” must be sexist, and I especially don’t understand why so many smart people even care that it might be.

Corporate whore doesn’t refer to sex work and is gender-neutral. Attention whore is the same. In each case, they imply that someone is compromising their principles in return for something tawdry. Why would urban whore be any different? It’s not like there are a lot of other perjoratives for “unscrupulous mercenary money-grubber”.

Besides that, its completely beside the point. Whatever else, I’m metaphysically certain that Ofek is an equal opportunity scumbag.

October 22, 2013 @ 11:27 am

“Corporate whore” and “attention whore” are pejoratives because of the stigma attached to traditionally female sex work.

Actual whores are female (we have other nouns for male prostitutes—”prostitute,” “escort,” “hustler”—and these nouns are rarely used pejoratively), and are no more unscrupulous mercenary money-grubbers than lawyers, nurses, or plumbers (I choose those three because I imagine that sex work is a little bit of each)…or scientists.

8. Dan Allison
    October 22, 2013 @ 4:17 pm

The expectation that writing is free is everywhere. This is a skill I have spent my life developing. I don’t need “my name in print” or “something for the resume.” I need cold hard cash. Website operators need to pony it up.