1. David Sugerman
    November 17, 2009 @ 1:05 pm

Nice post. I suppose it’s fairly implied here, but I would add one more: Crawl before you walk. Can you imagine a lawyer with little or no trial experience advertising for felony cases or brain injury cases? Or my favorite–lawyers with no experience in class actions advertising for them. Happens all the time, as you know. But I imagine that many untrained and inexperienced young’uns with JDs and bar tickets don’t understand the problem.

2. Joe Marchelewski
    November 18, 2009 @ 1:57 am

I think this is what appeals to beginning attorneys so much about the internet, though. They feel like this is a free forum and since everyone traverses the web all day, every day, they’re getting their name out there to so many people who could become clients.

3. Mickey Fox
    November 18, 2009 @ 10:07 am

“yamschwaber”??? LOL

And nice post. I think this applies equally to all professions, not just attorneys.

4. Brad Frye
    November 29, 2009 @ 3:49 pm

I can only wish that I had read this a year ago!!
    (Yes, I promise to be a more frequent visitor.)
    Thanks for the wisdom and ideas.
    Brad Frye

5. Defending People » Bradley Johnson Offers a Free Four-Part Symposium on Internet Marketing for Lawyers
    December 1, 2009 @ 3:36 pm

[…] could have saved himself a lot of heartache by reading my Sixteen Rules on November […]

6. Don Roch
    December 3, 2009 @ 8:12 pm

I googled yamschwaber and found only two links- the first to this site and the second to an apparently malicious site that is trying to get people to buy episodes of Wild Wild West. For a second there I thought the line in the post was from the series.

This and the “comment spam” post are the starting point of my firm’s online marketing efforts.

December 3, 2009 @ 8:18 pm

Don, thanks for commenting. The “Wild Wild West” link was someone stealing this post. That’s what I get for using the words “wild west” in a post. Yamschwaber may be a Bennettism (probably should be spelled jamschwaber, since it’s apparently-fake German). I guess you can tell from the context what it means.

The more you put into the internet, the more you’ll get out. Use your talent and knowledge to produce original and interesting content, and the world will beat a path to your door. Take shortcuts and surf on other people’s hard work, and the world will just beat you.

Mark.

• Mark's Dad
        January 7, 2015 @ 10:04 pm

Jamschwaber is a Chelfism.

7. Eileen Wertenberger
    December 4, 2009 @ 11:12 am

Mr. Bennett,
    I’ve just discovered your blog and absolutely love how candid you are! Your sixteen rules for online marketing are right on (except for the part about not trusting marketers, we’re not all the same as attorneys are not all the same).

I’m wondering if you could comment on this article in Business Week about “cyberjacking” in Wisconsin. In this case, I do think the attorney should NOT have trusted his marketer.

I hope the link works. If it doesn’t just Google “Habush suing Dunphy Wisconsin”

Thanks

8. Keith Nickerson
    December 7, 2009 @ 5:38 pm

Speaking of Jason “ADA” Sughrue, I’ve noticed his website has been down for quite some time now. Did you run him out of cyberspace? :-p

December 7, 2009 @ 5:41 pm

I may have. This net ain’t big enough fer the two of us.

9. Closing down by. SkripsiHukum.com
    December 11, 2011 @ 2:37 am

[…] can’t lend my, or this website’s name to any other effort for ethical reasons, which Mark Bennett and  Eric Turkewitz explain better than I ever […]

10. Does Outsourcing Your Legal Marketing Mean Outsourcing Your Ethics Too? | Condor Web
    October 24, 2013 @ 1:56 pm

[…] article has launched a few other posts from noted legal bloggers which primarily were supporting of this concept, that outsourcing […]